Roosendael (Valley of Roses) was a Cistercian nuns’ abbey founded around 1225. The first abbey complex was plundered and destroyed during the religious wars of the 16th century. After reconstruction in the 17th century the abbey entered a new era of prosperity, as the remaining 18th century buildings show us even today. A landscape park was laid out with the abbess’s residence being transformed into a classic style Château. This was destroyed in 1914. In 1920 a country house was constructed on the foundations of the former abbey’s guest house. In 1958, the last private owner died. The domain was donated to the church with a testamentary declaration that it should be used as a youth centre. Since then, Roosendael has been a youth hostel. The whole property is listed as an historical heritage site. Between 1995 and 2009 all the buildings were restored and are still being used as part of the youth centre. The ruins of the Château, the former abbess’s residence, were consolidated and re-used as meeting and exhibition rooms.